Għaddi – An experiential walk through Kalkara is a project that aims to celebrate Kalkara’s socio-cultural identity, history and collective memory. After a process of co-creation that started last January, a number of community members from Kalkara narrate their stories and experience of the village while sharing their skills and crafts as part of an experiential walk made available to the public – particularly to intergenerational families: children, parents/guardians and grandparents.
The walk departs from Esplora, passes through some streets in the centre of Kalkara, and ends back at Esplora. The walk is around 2 hours long, including 5 stops of around 15 minutes each, during which the families will have the opportunity to meet some of Kalkara’s community members with whom they will work on a hands-on creative exercise.
This walk adopts a DIY method whereby every person will be given an audio-narrative – on an MP3 player or it can be downloaded on the personal smartphone using a QR code, from Esplora’s website, on the day of the walk – and a small booklet that will guide one’s way through. At each stop there will be a community member from Kalkara together with an Explainer from Esplora. The audio-narrative will be offered in Maltese or in Maltese Sign Language. Every person will be also given a bag of resources to be used at each stop.
This project is organised by Assoċjazzjoni Wirt il-Kalkara, Esplora Interactive Science Centre and community artist Kristina Borg, and it is supported by Creative Communities – Arts Council Malta, by the Kalkara Parish and the Kalkara Local Council.
- Saturday, 10th October 2020
- Sunday, 11th October 2020
- Saturday, 17th October 2020
Time of departure from Esplora:
Each slot is open to one family or one group, with a maximum of 6 persons per group.
Duration of walk, including the 5 stops: Around 2 hours
Entrance Fee: Free, however interested people should book their place before the event by clicking here.
Recommended age: 6+ (but all ages are welcome!)
- Audio-narrative: Maltese or Maltese Sign Language (for LSM it is necessary that you bring your personal smartphone)
- Booklet and other text: Maltese and English
- Activity stations: Maltese
Please keep in mind:
- Be at Esplora 15 minutes before your departure time.
- The walk takes place in all weathers, unless it is dangerous.
- Wear waterproof and comfortable shoes for walking.
- Bring a sun hat or umbrella / raincoat, depending on the weather.
- Bring a reusable cup.
- Bring an Identity Card as a deposit for the headphones and mp3 player.
- If you have, bring a pair of headphones.
- If you have, bring your smartphone; you will be able to download the audio-narrative using Esplora’s wifi.
- Some roads have stairs, but there will also be the option of going through alternative routes if for one reason or another you prefer not to use the stairs. There is only a short path that is a little steep with a bit of rough terrain.
Measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19
- Persons with respiratory or influenza symptoms or who are supposed to be under mandatory or suggested quarantine according to the directives of the Health Authority will not be allowed to participate in this walk.
- One’s temperature is measured as people arrive at Esplora, and anyone with a temperature of 37.2°C or higher is not allowed to participate in this walk.
- At each entrance there will be a sanitiser for public use, both inside Esplora and at each stop of the walk.
- People over the age of 3 must wear a mask inside Esplora and at every stop of the walk, both the public and the organizers.
- The safety distance of 2 meters must be respected at all times.
- Common resources will be sanitised after each family or group.