This cemetery is the oldest Jewish burial ground in Malta. It is located at the beginning of Rinella Street, surrounded by houses and measuring approximately 9 meters by 12 meters. The burial ground is 2.50 meters above road level indicating structural changes during the years. The present entrance consists of a narrow wooden door leading to a narrow staircase.
The establishment of this site is cited by a Latin inscription above the door, indicating that it was officially opened in 1784. It was financed by the Livorno fund called Chevrat Pidyon Shevuyim, founded with the aim of ransoming Jewish slaves and their eventual burial, following an application made by Agostino Formosa de Fremeaux. In the cemetery today we find twelve identified tombs, four unidentified ones, a tombstone and various stone remnants, all dating back to the 19th century.