Construction of Fort Saint Rocco started in 1872 or 1873 by the British Empire as part of a fortification improvement programme recommended in a report published by Colonel Jervois in 1866. It was built on the land which served as the battery of Saint Rocco during the French blockade, situated between the battery of Rinella and the hamlet of Saint Rocco in Kalkara. This structure was the first polygonal fort of its kind to be built by the British in Malta.
In 1888 minor alterations were completed, while in 1900 a larger fort was built in its place. It was used successfully during the Second World War, destroying an Italian E-boat in 1942. It remained in operation as a militarily establishment until the 1950s, and was later used by Mediterranean Film Studios.