In 1915 the naval hospitals of Malta had more than 135,000 patients, both sick and wounded, mainly due to the battles of Gallipoli and Thessaloniki. In addition as from 1917 fewer hospital ships were being sent to Malta. Following this, Kalkara Naval Cemetry was established in Saint Rocco Street, and was substantialy utilised for those who lost their lives during the Second World War.
The cemetery, formerly property of the Admiralty and later passed to the Commonwealth, is divided into two areas: Protestant and Catholic, with two separate entrances. There are 351 First World War graves and 694 Second World War graves, all from the Commonwealth. It also includes 1,445 non-war graves and 137 war graves from other countries, including Japan. The cemetery is maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.