The Bighi Cot Lift was built in a Victorian architectural style in 1903 and was used to transfer injured sailors from naval ships to the wards of the Royal Naval Hospital Bighi. Situated 25 metres above sea level, it was the second electrical lift to be installed on the Maltese Islands. Damaged during the Second World War, it was reopened by Lady Grantham in 1956. Today it forms part of Esplora and hosts an exhibition of the history of Villa Bighi. The lift will soon be in operation again, taking visitors down to sea level.